18 January 2012

Beer Infection?

I was fermenting a double batch of robust porter.  I had blow off tubes from the fermenters to a pitcher of Star San.  All of this was taking place inside a refrigerator set to about 65°F.  Well, one of the fermenters did blow off.  Quite a bit in fact- I recall seeing about 2 inches of gunk in the bottom of pitcher.

I had not been keeping up with my beer chores, and that beer sat in primary for about 3 weeks.  One day I simply decided to go ahead and crash cool them.  So I set the thermostat to 38.  About a week later I got around to my beer chores.  I noticed the pitcher of sanitizer was empty except for some foul crusty junk- dried trub!  Gross!  I assumed it evaporated over those 3 to 4 weeks.

As I opened the fermenter bucket, I got a smell like wet socks and saw this film on top.  Also, the "krausen" on the side of the vessel looked slimy- not like yeast.


Beer Infection?
Beer Infection?
I suspect that the drop in temperature lowered the pressure of the head space above the beer.  That pressure was relieved by sucking in old Star San, krausen and whatever nasties fell into that pitcher.  I went ahead and kegged it.  Anyone interested in trying it?

No comments:

Post a Comment